Saturday, December 19, 2009

First...

Top shows of 2009

(Yes, poor editing and half-baked descriptions).

The Presets at Coachella Music and Arts Festival on April 17, 2009. – This Australian duo is always a crowd pleaser. It was a crazy, sweaty dance party in a ginormous tent. The pumping beats vibrated through my entire body as the crowd jumped up and down wishing we could live the rest of our lives like this.


Fleet Foxes at Coachella Music and Arts Festival on April 18, 2009. - Imagine this: the sun is setting, a backdrop of swaying palm trees and a cloudless pink sky accompany the crystal clear harmonies of Fleet Foxes in the middle of the dessert. Life doesn’t get much better than this my friends.


The Kills at Metro on May 9, 2009. - VV and Hotel exude madness and desire onstage. Mosshart’s stage presence is unparalleled. I hate to say it, but they could make doing heroin look cool. They have some mean style.


The Dead Weather at The Vic Theater on July 28, 2009. Now, that was a ROCK show. The inimitable Jack White and Alison Mosshart tore that stage up with superior presence and personality. The term “supergroup” is an understatement when we’re talking about The Dead Weather.


Tori Amos at The Chicago Theater on August 10, 2009 - This was 17th time seeing this woman play live and probably the best. Not setlist wise, but performance wise. She brought it with “Strong Black Vine.”


Lykke Li at Lollapalooza on August 8, 2009. Dance, dance, dance. Lykke Li is a perfectionist. It’s apparent by her sweet songs that are accompanied by her sweet voice, her cute dance moves, and stylishly clad in her black mod.


Yeah Yeah Yeah’s at Lollapalooza on August 8, 2009 - I danced my heart out. Karen O is a fierce frontwoman and Nick Zinner’s guitar riffs create a crowd whose heads rolled all over Grant Park.


Lupe Fiasco at Congress Theater on October 29, 2009 - A very diverse crowd. I had not listened to much of Lupe’s music before, but I am definitely a fan now. I could have done without the movie bit, but otherwise I was enthralled. And dudes, I saw Crucial Conflict get crazay with “Hay” and Dude N’ Nem throw down “Watch My Feet”. What a treat.


Fever Ray at Metro on October 3, 2009. - The stage props included numerous lamps. At one point I felt I was tripping acid in my grandmother’s living room. At another point, I felt I was involved in some strange séance. Not once did I get a glimpse of Fever Ray’s face (she is constantly covered with make-up or costumes plus fog and strobe lights hovered the stage) , which made the whole experience that more intriguing.


Imogen Heap at The Vic Theater on November 24, 2009. - She is the only artist who compels me to blog a “review” of her show. She is moving and inventive; a sonical scientist. There is always a deep sense of community at an Immi show.

No comments: